North Kiteboarding started with a clean slate and the goal to make a high tech five strut big air kite that has the tech where it needs it and strips out all the useless bells and whistles that do nothing. We are here to tell you the Orbit meets this spec, and it is worthy of all the hype.
- Proven Teijin TechnoForce D2 canopy material and TechnoForce 160gsm Dacron.
- Pre-stretched low drag pulley-less bridle creates responsive turning.
- Exo-Skeleton Dacron frame and struts keeps kite ridged with no flappy flappy.
- Proprietary inflate valve allows any pump to screw on with no inflate valve needed.
- Duralite foam padding on leading edge keeps leading edge off the ground to reduce wear.
- Full bodied wing tip for pull through the turns and looping bliss.
- Canopy arc and profile optimized for efficient airflow.
- Kook proof red and green pigtails with trailing edge attachments that have only one knot so you have the right one every time.
- Kite repair kit included.
- Kite bags come in four sizes so all kites have the right sized bag.
What We Like
- North came to the game to make a kite that would keep madmen like Jessie Richman and Nick Jacobson on the edge of their seats, yet make it palatable for your everyday rider that wants to go back and forth and send some big jumps. The North Orbit hits those marks with the top-level riders improving their air games and average Joes getting the best sessions of their lives.
- The Orbit feels totally natural on your first session. There is a very little adjustment period to this kite. You will find yourself trying and completing new tricks every session. It is really easy to ride so if you are working on your first carving transition to first mega loop, the Orbit will give you the confidence to make that happen.
- This kite lives up to its name and will send you into ORBIT. It is really easy to get big controlled air. The arc of the jump is natural so you won’t get those weird surges like some big air kites.
- There is enough bar feel that you don’t lose the kite but it is by no means heavy or stiff in the turning.
- North started with a clean slate and they stripped away all the legacy design characteristics that had no function. There are a bunch of examples of this in the North kite line like only one knot to connect the kite line too. People mess this up all the time on kites with multiple knots on the trailing edge pigtails which makes the kite out of tune.
- They worked with the North Sails engineering team to reduce as much drag as possible. You can feel this when you fly the orbit. The kite is very smooth through the air. The profile and arc of this kite keep their shape even when it is really overpowered. This translates gust absorption as well.
- North made this kite to last. The quality of craftsmanship is top-notch. There is not a stitch out of place on the Orbit. The attention to detail is just sick. They are using a very high-quality control spec and meeting the standard that they set.
- The bridle line is pre-stretched and then cut so that it will stay the same the entire life of the kite. Most kites the bridle lines stretch and the performance gets a lot worse as you take more sessions. Also, they use thin kite line that significantly reduces drag.
- The kite pigtails are the same as the bar pigtails. Having one back up set allows you to have a spare for the kite or the bar. They are also green and red like they should be. It is a sailing thing that only took the kiteboarding industry 20 years to get right.
What We Don't Like
- With North Sails behind the brand, we expected some sort of space-aged materials for their big air kite. In speaking with the designer, they did their homework and got a ton of data and product samples from North. What they found is that a lot of canopy materials break down or stretch in strange ways so the kites loose their shape and feel. Also, some materials tested can be special and “fancy” but really overweight. North KB chose their kite materials because they are proven and every time they buy that material it is the same stuff.
- The Orbit is the kite that most kiteboarder should be riding because it is high performance but it is also really easy to ride. We found that it felt a little heavy in light air for foiling and kitesurfing. Surprisingly it does drift pretty well though.
- The Orbit only comes up to a size 14m. There are some big riders out there that could use a 16m.
Why you want the North Orbit
All sizes of this kite rip hard and build confidence. The 14m is fast and responsive while the 5m jumps like mad and doesn’t drop you like a rock. When you get out in the sweet spot of an 8m-12m, your mind will be blown. This kite is easy, familiar and a badass ripper that you know is going to feel just as good on session #200 as it did on session #1.
Big jumps. Big hang time. Big wind range. Designed from the ground up, we’ve created a kite that will rocket you upwind fast, with anti-gravity boosting capabilities. Optimized for all conditions, the North Orbit is a predictable kite that can be fl own in the unpredictable. Light bar pressure allows effortless and precise steering with a massive sweet spot.
A stiff frame provides a stable platform to help with overpowered airs and megaloops in gusty conditions. Tested by nature and proven by our athletes.
Profile transition panelsWe’ve added an extra panel that connects to the leading edge seam to ensure a precise lateral profile shape is maintained as close to the leading edge as possible, creating a smooth transition from the segmented leading edge to the curved canopy. This results in a more aerodynamic and efficient airflow and less turbulence.
DuraLite seam protectionLightweight reinforcement to protect from chafing and abrasion along the struts to the leading edge. Thin foam padding is inserted underneath and forms a lightweight durable buffer to lift the kite slightly off rough surfaces, and protect the stitching along the struts and leading edge seams.
Steering impulse optionBar pressure/steering impulse wing tip tuning options let you fine tune the kite to your personal preference.
Low-drag bridle linesSpliced, pre-stretched bridle lines with less parasitic drag for greater aerodynamic performance. Our new manufacturing method to pre-load and measure the bridle lines before cutting improves accuracy and consistency. This combined with quality materials, results in reduced shrinkage, reduced elongation and improved longevity.
HyperFlow inflation systemHigh volume single point inflation system with larger diameter hose for rapid inflation and deflation. Bayonet style main inflation valve compatible with most pumps. No adapter needed.
No-pulley bridlesSimplified. Less breakage. Removing the plastic pulleys from within the load-bearing part of the kite improves safety and your connection to the kite. The result is lower drag, more accuracy and a more direct feeling as the kite powers more evenly through the turn.
Kevlar reinforced strut systemFor the most accurate and durable connection between the strut and the leading edge.
Exo-skeleton structureA durable frame around the perimeter of the kite made from stretch-resistant Techno Force 160gsm Dacron material. The Exoskeleton helps the transition where the Kevlar reinforced strut system meets the lighter canopy material. It adds durability, strength and elongation control, protecting the canopy and making the kite more responsive in the steering and depower. The result is a durable kite that can hold its profile for increased performance and lift, but is also dynamic, flexible and can twist to turn.
Teijin Techno Force D2Premium high-density canopy material made in Japan, using high tenacity polyester yarn for lightness, high tearing strength and high endurance. Teijin Techno Force has the highest strength to weight ratio and longest durability in the industry.
Phenomenal loft and hangtimeWide Flat at 2-stage arc supported by reinforced exo-skeleton frame.
PowerfulHigh performance 5-strut kite for incredible stability in a wide range of conditions.
Incredible upwind performanceReduced leading edge diameter gives low drag profile for greater power and efficiency.
High aspect sweep designAllows more area in the center of the kite for efficiency and easy roll to relaunch.
Controlled responseLight bar pressure for effortless steering or just park and ride.
- Kite|Kite Bag|Repair Kit
- Control Bar and Pump Sold Separately