It's that time of year again to start planning your next (or first) kiteboarding trip and REAL is here to help. We have put together a guide to help you decide when to make the trip. If you have any questions or want to find out more - we are open 7 days a week so give us a call!
4 Reasons It's Not Too soon To Start Planning:
1. Planning early secures the best rates on airfare, rental cars and accommodations. REAL also offers discounted camp rates early season.
2. Accommodations fill up quickly. Watermen’s Retreat is already booked for many popular weeks of the year, including Triple-S, Memorial Day Weekend and popular weeks in the Spring and Summer. We do have wait listing available for these dates, so call TODAY while your preferred dates are still available.
3. REAL Camps enjoy a 2 to 1 student to coach ratio. Each of these groups also has a PWC (Jet Ski) for on water support, coaching and rides back upwind. Once our 12 PWC fleet is booked for any given day, that lesson or camp cannot be allocated another ski for your group. Walking upwind is not fun. Book early and secure your ride now.
4. The sooner you book, the sooner you can get excited about your trip and enjoy your new riding ability!
So what's the right time of year for me?
I'm travelling with my family: The REAL Cape Hatteras experience is family friendly with tons of activities for everyone in your group. REAL Kids Camps (Kite/Surf/SUP) are held during Spring and Summer Breaks. Everyone in your group from newborns to grandparents can enjoy the views, the excitement and the inclusive atmosphere from Watermen's Retreat, located right onsite.
I'm going solo: You're tired of "herding cats" and have resorted to a life of traveling on your own. The months of May through September offer the widest variety of conditions, restaurants, events, nightlife, PLUS other people to meet and enjoy them with!
I like to Party: You want to session all day and party all night. The best week of the year is during the Triple-S, which takes place in the first week of June. This week offers warm temps, excellent winds and live music/parties every night! If you can't make it for Triple-S, the weeks surrounding the event have plenty of live music and evening events to keep you entertained.
I'm on a budget: REAL and watermen's Retreat offer special camp and accommodation pricing through May 23rd. The kiteboarding season really gets under way in March which gives you 2 months of sessions at shoulder season rates. Find out more about Watermen's Retreat rates.
I'm Sessionally Greedy: Cape Hatteras enjoys 20 or more days a month of windy conditions, 12 months a year. If you're looking for the most consistent months to satiate your extreme sessional desires, they are June and July with an average of 27 and 29 days per month of wind respectively..
I'm a sunseeker - no wetsuit for me please: On average, we get to session in boardshorts up to 5 months a year. If you're looking to ride in "the skin", we recommend mid May thru mid September. This is also a great time to bring family members that want to visit our world class beaches which are always included among the "Top 10 Beaches in America".
I Want To LEARN: We always say, "the sooner you learn, the sooner you can go home and enjoy your new skills!" For rank beginners, this also translates into going home, practicing and solidifying your new abilities before you start forgetting them. Perfect timing for this is March through June.
3 ways to start planning your trip:
1. Chat with one of our REAL Pros about your upcoming trip: you can call us toll free at 866-REAL-548 or International 252-987-6000 .
2. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get right back to you.
3. If you are ready to book then head over to our Camps and Lessons page and get your trip booked - spaces are filling up fast!
Hungry for more information?
A complete guide to spending the whole spring and summer living and working in Cape Hatteras, NC.
Find out more about REAL Kiteboarding Camps
Cape Hatteras Travel Information
Watermens Retreat Homepage